Aerosols play an important role in the climate system. They modify the radiation and interact with clouds and gaseous trace gases. To quantify relevant physical and chemical processes and their interaction with regional climate we develop complex numerical simulation models on different scales up to synoptic scale.
We focus on the interactions of aerosol particles with regional weather systems as well as the gaseous compounds within the troposphere by developing and applying the comprehensive system COSMO-ART with horizontal grid spacing in the order of kilometres.
Pollen forecast with COSMO-ART by MeteoSwiss: Webpage
Aerosols and State of the Atmosphere
- Quantification of the impact of natural and anthropogenic aerosol particles on the state of the atmosphere on the regional scale.
- Determination of the visual range based on modelled aerosol distributions.
Aerosols and Gas Phase Chemistry
- Impact of the heterogeneous hydrolysis of N2O5 on chemistry and nitrate aerosol formation in the lower troposphere under photosmog conditions
- Emission and Dispersion of Pollen and Bacteria
- Emission and Dispersion of Mineral Dust
- Mineral Dust and Gas Phase Chemistry
- Mineral Dust and Regional Climate
- The relative importance of individual sources for HONO production